6.04.2008

Gone Phishing....

Ladies prepare yourself. Are you already to be "phished," scammed, or otherwise violated. I thought it would not happen to me, what do I have that those kind of people want? But today it did. My parents got a call and message from a man who asked for me by my maiden name, he proceeded to harass my mom after she called him to tell that I no longer lived at that address. To make a long story short, I called him and he stated that I had a collection account originally with Chase but then Chase sold my account to First USA Bank from 2005/2006. After a long conversation with him, he resolved to check out the facts on the case and said he would call me back. This man, knew my parents names, my parents street address, my parents phone numbers, etc.. Here are some facts that I checked out with Chase. Chase did merge in fact merge with first usa but Chase bought them out. Chase never sells credit cards to other financial institutions. This man also stated that he was the president of a consulting firm that was outsourced by chase. Chase also let me know that they do all their own collections, no matter how much the amount or what the time frame. The best news of all Chase DOES NOT have a credit card account under my social security number, previous name or current name. Chase warned me that I was trying to be caught in a phishing scam and that I should contact the local authorities. I called the escondido pd and they could do nothing for me but told me some helpful hints in case he keeps calling me. According to Chase and the Esc. PD I did everything I should. Ladies, let me tell you, he said all the right things, had all the right answers, and sounded for the most part legitimate. The scammers are only going to become more prevalent as the financial realm gets worse, be on your guard.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I have been phished by them too! THey called me over a period of about 4 months all the time and were always mean and asking for my bank account # to resolve a unpaid debt that would be sent to a lawyer and mark my credit report that day at midnight if I didn't comply...Thankfully I am not taken that easily but it makes me sad that there are people scared into this!

Sara Jones said...

YIKES! Thanks for the heads-up!

Followers