3.26.2009

Recession proof your bread box

I try to make bread at least once a week and no longer buy from the store. I just can't bring myself to spend over 3.00 for a loaf of good, no preservatives, whole wheat bread. Below you will find my recipe, I adapted it to fit my style. I sometimes add 2 tbs of flax seed meal to give it some oomph. When mixing I use my kitchen aid mixer and dough hook, this does all the kneading for me, then I just turn it out onto my oiled board and just knead a few times to make sure it is smooth.

  • 2 cups warm water (110 degrees F)
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 5-6 cups whole wheat flour
DIRECTIONS
  1. In a large bowl, dissolve the honey in warm water, and then stir in yeast. Allow to proof until yeast resembles a creamy foam.
  2. Mix salt and oil into the yeast. Mix in flour one cup at a time. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Place in a well oiled bowl (I use nonstick cooking spray), and turn dough to coat. Cover with a damp cloth. Allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
  3. Punch dough down. Knead for a few minutes, and divide in half. Shape into loaves, and place into two well oiled (nonstick cooking spray) 9x5 inch loaf pans. Allow to rise for 30 minutes, or until dough has risen 1 inch above pans.
  4. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.

6 comments:

Bre said...

Oh my gosh!!! You are SO CUTE!!! What a great little home maker you are ... not to mention "thrifty". I aspire to your greatness ;-)

Love you!

Rachel said...

I think you need to make me some Michelle. Yeah, just drop it off on my porch. Sounds delich!

Michelle said...

ok that's $3 a loaf...hehehe! LOL!

katetreick said...

I just made my first loaf of bread yesterday! I couldn't believe how easy it was. I have to do the kneading myself, but it's not too bad. I will try your recipe! Hope you're doing great! :)

Bre said...

O.k., o.k. already!!!

If I was a baker, I would totally try your recipe! Now, post something new ...

... I'm dying to see some pictures and hear what's going on with you. PLEEEEASE! Preatty please with lemon zest and cherry on top ;-)

Bre said...

Alright. I DO know how to spell "pretty". I just didn't catch it until after I posted that comment ... oops!

Followers